BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

sins of the father

People have told me that they enjoy reading my blog because of how honest I am. Well, here is some honesty. My faith is in a very precarious state at the moment, and I have a question for anyone willing to answer. What did God mean when He said that the sins of the father will be passed down from generation to generation? Does it mean that no matter how hard I try to move past my past, to do the right thing, to be a good Christian, blah blah blah, that bad things will follow me wherever I go? And if so, then what's the point of me even trying? And I am being dead serious here! My grandma said it perfectly tonight when she said it seems like a cloud has been over our family this year, and that includes my brothers and all the crap they've had to deal with this year (although I will admit some of that is because of their own poor choices, not that it makes any easier for the rest of us to deal with).

I feel like we have had a REALLY crappy year, no, I know we have had a REALLY crappy year, that doesn't seem to be improving much. Just when it seems like things are getting better, or there is some hope of a new chapter starting, let's just say in the job arena for Tyler, for example, that hope just ends up getting crushed!! How many times can a person tolerate hope after hope being taken from them, door after door being slammed in their faces (and some MUCH more personal than others)???

Zachary has been our biggest blessing this year. Maybe that's all we can ask for. Although it would be nice to know how we are going to provide for him, but whatever.

I'm done!

6 comments:

Jesse Peterson said...

Great post Tabs! John Piper talked about it:

In the same Biblical books you get both angles. For example, Deuteronomy 5:9-10 says, "I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing lovingkindness to thousands [of generations, see 7:9], to those who love Me and keep My commandments." But in Deuteronomy 24:16 it says, "Fathers shall not be put to death for their sons, nor shall sons be put to death for their fathers; everyone shall be put to death for his own sin." Both perspectives are in the same book. (Compare also Jeremiah 32:17-18 with Jeremiah 31:29.)

God has established a new covenant with you my friend. You have the opportunity to break the chains of the heritage that you come from. When you look at abuse (of any type) in family lines...you can see it come from generations down but there is always a chance to break that bondage and start anew.

You have the ability to instill a new heritage and inheritance upon Zachary. He will not experience the same as you did...as you break the cycle.

I know from experience that some years are much harder than others. When I was laid off, my brother was also in legal troubles, my dad had the worst year of ministry...maybe ever and my family was hurting immensely.

2 years down the road, and we are still struggling at points but things are different. It's easy to say "God will provide" but it's harder to live with that as truth when so much seems dark.

KNOW that you have the opportunity to break the cycle in your family. KNOW that you can pass a new inheritance on to your son and other children. KNOW that trusting God in the darkness is difficult. KNOW that you are loved and supported by so many and years from now, you'll be able to say that your faithfulness will be worth it as you watch your Grandchildren play before you without any intolerable inheritance from your earthly father.

Love you friend. God is working miracles in your life.

Amanda said...

Jesse said it well... But I know this in my own life too. While I see some things in my life as evident of "generational sin", I also know I can break the cycle. It can end with me. :) through Jesus, we can be the last generation in our family lines that have to deal with these issues. :). (at least that's what I believe). There is story after story in the old testament of an evil king being succeeded by his God-fearing son... And then time after time of a God-fearing king being succeeded by an evil son... Instead of being saddened to paralysis about that last part, I think we need to focus on the former... There is hope. :) for ourselves and for our future family. God is a God of renewal,forgiveness, and hope.

I hope what I said makes sense... If you want to talk more specific, I'd be glad to in an email. :)
<3 amandaP

Brazenlilly said...

I appreciate your honesty, Tabs! I agree with what Jesse said, and I will also put my own spin on it. I have often interpreted that as saying that children will often suffer the consequences of a father's sinful choices. For instance, when a father chooses infidelity, abusive or addictive behavior, his children suffer. I see it as a logistical thing. I do not believe that it means the children have no choice in their own behavior or lot in life, and are doomed to repeat the sin itself or can never break out from those consequences. Scripture is clear that when we come to Christ, we are a NEW creation--the old is GONE.

I want you to know that I think anyone in your situation would likely feel very shakey in their faith--and that I believe God is Ok with that! When I see your struggles (and those of some other friends whose worlds seem to be crashing down) I get angry on your behalf and wonder why God is allowing it. But I have also seen time and again His faithfulness, in small and big ways, that comes to His children in their darkest hour. I believe with all my heart that you and Tyler and Zachary WILL GET THROUGH THIS, and you will be stronger together and as a believer because of it. You are loved and prayed for! Can't wait to hear your testimony in a few years. :)

-Jen T.

Holly said...

Tabatha,
First I love you so much and while I have not been in the hardship you guys are going through my heart aches for you both. I believe that you have blessed our family more than I can ever express.

I agree with everyone who has posted. The most important thing to remember is that we are under a new covenant with God. Under the new convenant we are considered the children of God. He is our Father and because He is our father there is no sin to be passed down to us. He wants what is best for us. It does not always seem that way and I know that. The best example I have I heard from Bruce; God is making a really big cross stitch and from His vantage point it is creating a beautiful picture and future but looking up to us it just looks like one BIG mess.

You are a wonderful woman, wife, and mother. I know that things will change, and while this year was pretty aweful, it is almost over!

For a little encouragement I recommend Romans 4-5:11. Or call me and I will continually tell you what a wonderful person you are. If you need anything from us, do not hesitate. We will do everything we can to help.

just the two of us said...

I love reading your blog. You so often talk about things I struggle with silently!! Through my struggles with my little one I cannot tell you how many times I have wondered why I can't catch a break. Having a little one with medical issues is hard, and produces a lot of unmerited guilt (at least for me). I am continually reading Job to help me gain a little perspective. Seeing a man with such an incredible faith lose everything helps me see not only the many blessings I still have, but also that hard times are not necessarily a punishment or a product of my sinfullness.

Elisabeth said...

Wow- I would not have known how to answer that, but I think that all of your friends who have commented so far are so right on! You are loved, things will not stay this bad forever and you WILL get through it. <3